Re: F18 RC2 erratic GUI in VBox, missing installer window

On 09/11/2012 01:51 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> Is anyone else testing in VirtualBox? F17 is quite well behaved in 4.1.20, but in F18 I'm having windows yanked out from under me constantly. I'm switched to Overview (as if I've clicked on Activities) just by moving the mouse while not clicking on anything.
>
> As Anaconda hub produces additional windows for its various steps (like partitioning), if this erratic switch to Gnome Overview mode happens, the anaconda child window is totally lost. I can't find a way to get back to it, as it's not visible in Overview, just the original Anaconda "hub" window is visible, and because it has a child window waiting for completion I can't actually use the "hub" window at all, all options are grayed out except Quit - but clicking Quit does nothing.
>
> The mouse arrow is also extremely erratic: mousing upward randomly causes the mouse to vanish and shift 10-15% to the left (always left), while the GUI behaves as if I'm clicking on Activities then clicking on an application window in Overview, then back on Activities… even though I'm not clicking on anything.
>
> Ahhh, if I click on Activities, then click-hold on the Install to Hard Drive icon, I get a contextual menu with two anaconda options. Choosing one gets me to the "hub" and choosing the other gets me back to the MIA child (partitioning in this case) window. Crisis averted.
>

> Chris Murphy
I can confirm this behaviour. I'm using 4.1.22 now and it happens a lot.
The workaround I've found is to turn off "mouse pointer integration" and
deal with the
click to capture behaviour.

Furthermore, F18 does not properly handle Virtualbox Guest Additions
installation.  vboxvideo.ko gets built, but
does not get loaded at sysinit time.  Doing a modprobe vboxvideo results
in pathological behaviour in the
X environment that also locks up the various virtual terminals,
ultimately requiring a hard stop of the VBox instance.

Also the x11 modules are not placed in the proper place for X to find or
use them.  It should use vboxvideo-drm but X won't
find them, and systemctl vboxadd-x11 silently fails.  I've downloaded
several versions of the virtualbox sources and
built them in the F18 environment with no luck.

I'm pretty sure this is  problem with Fedora and not the Virtualbox code
as no other Fedora version is suffering the problem.
A rawhide installation is working okay, and F17 is also good.  This is
also closely tied to the GTK/GNOME environment
since LXDE and XFCE4 desktops behave better.  The new X11 version is, of
course, suspect, but rebuilding inside VBox f18
instance doesn't fix it.

F18 versions affected: ALL Alpha TCs and RC2 x86_64  (will test i686
versions next)
Virtualbox versions tested: 4.1.18, 4.1.20, 4.1.22  (working on getting
a 4.2.x RC4 instance to test)

--
G.Wolfe Woodbury
FAS: redwolfe (proventesters)