Re: The new installer

On 10 September 2012 15:07, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R <caf@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Had a frustrating experience with the fat cow installer.
> Something in one of the selections I made had a
> missing dependency (or whatever).  Missing dependencies
> are a part of developmental installs.
>
> What was most frustrating is that the installer did not
> indicate which selection was causing the problem.  I
> had to go into whack-a-mole mode, repeatedly removing
> selections and retrying until the offending package was
> removed.
>
> There are so many things wrong with this bagbiter installer.
> Why can't Fedora use the Fedora 16 installer, which was
> relatively friendly and much more useful.
>
> What was so wrong with the working installer that required
> writing a new one from scratch?

The usual.. the code had reached the end of its maintainable life with
the needs that people had for it. Basically the list of things people
want the installer gets bigger and at some point you aren't able to
stick those things in because of all the features that were asked for
in the past that may not be needed, people didn't really like how they
were, or it just won't work with where other code anaconda depends on
is. This happens every 6 or so releases I believe... it is a painful
horrible fact of Fedora life.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
"Don't derail a useful feature for the 99% because you're not in it."