Re: Intel Graphics: SNA testing report with xorg-x11-drv-intel >= 2.20

On 08/23/2012 07:38 PM, Pedro Francisco wrote:
On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 6:13 PM, Sandro Mani <manisandro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Probably unrelated but similar issue, though _without_ SNA (having an intel
4500MHD, using rawhide): sometime after mid-july I have started suffering
severe redrawing issues, see [1] and [2]. Unfortunately I spent a few weeks
working with the discreet graphics, so I missed the version after which
issues started appearing. I am now gradually testing older
xorg-x11-drv-intel packages to try to identify when breakage started, I
suspect it is sometime after xorg-x11-drv-intel-2.20.0-1.20120718.fc18.
Issue appears only after some time, and is definitely an intel issue
(switching to the AMD discreet card it works fine). Also, GTK applications
are affected much more severely than Qt ones. I was hoping to gather more
information before filing a bug, (at least which version causes the
breakage) but since this was brought up, here it goes...

Ok.
Anyway I disabled SNA and it still happens: to recap: on
gnome-fallback-mode, Qt (so far: Skype, unetbootin) apps seem to have
refresh issues. NOT related to SNA.

Clue 1: on unetbootin seems easier to trigger, just open it, "ISO"
field, click Browse, open /etc, screen should fail to refresh until
window moved. If it does refresh, walk "up" on file browser and retry.

Clue 2: so Sandro, to you it's to GTK mainly? Here it's Qt only. But
you're on KDE and I'm on Gnome. So a better summary would be
"cross-desktop applications have refresh broken occasionaly". Are you
using Compositing? I've only hit this now that I've tried
gnome-fallback-mode (without compositing).

P.S.: Fedora _17_ here.
It happens both with and without compositing (actually issues are much more visible without compositing, possibly due to the fact that various compositing effects trigger more screen redraws). Btw, unetbootin: which file open dialog do you get, the gnome or the kde one?