Re: swapping disk with UEFI hardware - a dead end?

> Having sent that mail it became obvious that what's happened is that
> your
> new x220 board doesn't have the efi boot variable set.  Some machines
> allow
> you to boot from a file, in which case it'll be
> /efi/fedora/grubx64.efi .
> If your firmware doesn't have that, you'll need to boot some
> install/rescue
> media to get to a shell. In either case you'll need to use efibootmgr
> add /efi/fedora/grubx64.efi to the boot order.
>
> That's all assuming it's F17; if it's earlier, it'll be
> /efi/redhat/grub.efi .

Efibootmgr revealed following:

$ efibootmgr -v
Boot0019* Fedora	HD(1,800,64000,16a05b56-2ea8-4cea-956b-f2d5499583e5)File(\EFI\redhat\grub.efi)

(It's F17 clean install, but it has /grub.efi file, instead of /grubx64.efi. I installed from USB.)

That means that if I can re-generate the same boot option on the new hardware, it should boot, right? That's great. I can't reproduce it easily again (the other X220 is gone now), but it's useful to know this in case I need it again. Thanks for the explanation.

Do we have a Fedora page documenting boot problems somewhere (re-installing GRUB and stuff)? It would be useful to add a short help in there about UEFI too. GRUB guides are all over the Internet, but UEFI is a new stuff and I wasn't able to google anything at all about this problem.