Re: Inadequate sound device control

Dne Út 17. dubna 2012 07:25:49, Matthias Clasen napsal(a):
> On Tue, 2012-04-17 at 12:04 +0100, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > None of them would. PulseAudio is at a higher level than ALSA
> > and does not actually provide any kind of interface
> > (user-interfacing, or API) for controlling individual ALSA
> > mixer channels as Jon wants to. It's not what PA is _for_.

ok, what is PA _for_ then? (see below)

> > PA's take is that if you want to control individual ALSA
> > mixer channels, use an ALSA mixer. GNOME's take is they
> > don't want to write an ALSA mixer. So if you want a
> > graphical ALSA mixer...find one and use it. GNOME doesn't
> > consider themselves to be in the business of providing one.
>
> Well put Adam, thanks. That being said, we certainly want to
> provide enough control to let people use their sound cards. If
> something is missing, by all means, let us know. But "I need
> control on the level of <picture of alsa mixer>" is not a very
> concrete description of what our controls don't let you do...

it doesn't do what the *mixer* is supposed to do - to *mix*
various sources

for example -

most (?) cards have two external inputs - microphone and line-in

now if there is only one volume control, how do I express that I
want to mute the microphone and set the line-in to some value?

what if the soundcard has a "boost" on/off switch which doesn't
just amplify the microphone but it completely changes input
characteristics from condenser mic to dynamic mic range?

- how is this supposed to work with "one slider rule them all"
type of control?

K.

--
Karel Volný