Re: Yum upgrade F16 -> F17

On Fri, 2012-04-13 at 23:35 +0300, Tomi Leppikangas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I did test upgrade with yum following info on
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading_Fedora_using_yum
>
> After doing succesfull usrmove i did upgrade with:
> yum --releasever=17 update rpm
> rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__*
> rpm --rebuilddb
> yum --releasever=17 distro-sync
>
> If i boot after that i see that kernel is not updated and shutdown doesnt work.
>
> If i run "yum update" after distro-sync, there is still packages updating:

These results are both actually expected for a typical F16 config
(though they surprised you :>).

The distro-sync operation will not have used the updates-testing
repository, because this repo wouldn't have been enabled before the
operation. The kernel in F17's current 'stable' repo is older than the
newest F16 kernel, so it's normal that when you do this kind of upgrade
- and, indeed, when you do a DVD upgrade using the Beta - you don't get
a new kernel. It's also normal that a subsequent 'yum update' shows more
updates available, because the 'distro-sync' installs a new
fedora-release, with the updates-testing repository *enabled* by default
- so on the next yum operation, all those packages in updates-testing
show up.

Bit surprising, sure, but actually, everything there works as it's
intended to.

If you want to do a one-step upgrade you could add
'--enablerepo=updates-testing' to the 'distro-sync' operation.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey