Re: Imagemagick dependencies that don't seem to be in the F17 dependency report

On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 11:07:37 -0700, S (stan) wrote:

> The thing is, though, that the update is being held up by these
> dependencies.  It seems to me it would be better to let the updates
> update as soon as they are available, and let dependent packages update
> as they can.  This would plug the most holes the soonest.  i.e. while
> we're waiting for dependencies to get updated with the fixed package,
> the fixed package that is ready can't install.

So, you would uninstall all the packages you've mentioned before, which
depend on ImageMagick? ;)

Remember, there is no --nodeps installation of packages involved. You
cannot apply an update like this as long as any installed package
dependencies would be broken. A single dependency on the old ImageMagick
or its library SONAME would block the new ImageMagick from getting
installed.

What's necessary is that library package maintainers get access to
the dependencies as well, so they could take over doing rebuilds as
needed. Provided that they've done the necessary preparation work,
such as checking what API-breakage is waiting to be handled. It may
be that new upstream releases or snapshots are needed to be able to
rebuild a dependency again. It's also necessary to find out why
dependency maintainers don't respond.