/etc/yum/protected.d/ content thwarts yum update/upgrade

I have one package I want to keep from being replaced, so I created a file in protected.d/ according to http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/14/html-single/Software_Management_Guide/ (couldn't find a newer than 14), which is about the only doc I could find addressing protecting packages. Quick search on Bugzilla found nothing searching for protected.d/. Is it not possible to yum update/upgrade if one (non-essential) package is protected this way, and not have to specify individual packages to upgrade? --skip-broken doesn't help. Update/upgrade simply halts after listing packages with 'Error: Trying to remove "<protected-package>", which is protected'.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/