Re: Weird F17 effect: New gdm-3.4.0.1 presents mysql server account on the login screen

On Fri, 2012-03-30 at 09:41 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 14:59:08 +0200,
>    Joachim Backes <joachim.backes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >Anybody sees this too: After applying all F17 updates (including
> >gnome-3.4... packages), the GDM login window presents the mysql server
> >account on the login screen. Why that?
>
> Because mysql has a normal shell.
>
> I think the scheme used is better than using just uid.
>
> I also wonder about why some of services have valid shells. I know that
> Tom Lane indicated that postgres has a shell intentionally as it helps
> to be able to su to postgres to do some tasks. Probably mysql is expected
> to be used the same way 9as tom packages both). But there were other ones
> that seemed suspect to me. The ones I wasn't using I changed to have
> a shell of /sbin/nologin.

I think this is pretty clearly a bug of mysql or postgres, or rather, it
is a natural consequence of the decision to make these accounts usable
for login.

Ray and I have discussed various options, but no really satisfactory
solution has appeared so far.