Re: Criterion proposal - keyboard layouts

On 02/20/2012 11:42 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
I wish I had better background on it, but I'm pretty sure we did discuss
having an explicit criterion before going with the 'vague' paragraph
instead. All that mail (by me) says is that I didn't think a specific
criterion 'worked well', which is pretty useless looking back - sigh.

One problem I do remember is that, in practice, we don't really want to
block the release if a single extremely obscure keyboard layout turns
out to be broken at the last minute; that's one factor in favor of the
vague hand-wavey judgment call paragraph. We want to block only on
reasonably popularly-used layouts, your Frenches and Germans and
whatevers, but it's a bit hard to write a criterion that properly
restricts the list without being too restrictive.

Still, I'm not really against the criterion, just trying to remember the
thought process from before.

If I remember correctly the vague part was put there as an escape clause to go to if enough number of community members voiced up for their layout not working to block the release. ( which basically is what you say there with "popular" )

The fact is that we cant implement any kind of formal test procedure to test all available layouts as in we cant really cover any other layout then our current community members use ( I for one cant use Chinese, or Japanese layouts as an example ).

Due to the fact the we cant cover them all, implementing such criteria in any shape or form would force us to start chosing which layouts to test which is not fair to others + community members on different layout are already reporting any issues that they find which begs the question what benefits would it bring implementing such criteria.

I for one aggree with Adam that broken keyboard layout should not block the release ( as I was uhum when this decition was made in the first place If I can recall correctly me and Dennis vote hard -1 on the relevant go/no go meeting but to no prevail since we got outnumbered by +1 by community members with broken keyboard layout which lead to the vague thingy ) however if such criteria such be implemented I ack the proposed proposal...

JBG