Re: Verne Anaconda Antisocial Behavior

This time I zeroed the partition table with Linux Mint 12 RC and made
partitions
for FreeDOS, swap and root.   Mint on a 1 GB 300 MHz Pentium III is not
a pleasant
experience.  Think molasses and quadratic.  I installed the GPIB files
but couldn't
figure out how to make them work.

I then burned 32 bit F16 onto a DVD+R.  The computer would not boot the DVD.
I then tried a DVD-R.  Still no boot.  After installing F16 via pxeboot
I checked both DVDs
with dd and both read the full disc without reporting errors.

This time Anaconda was well behaved.  I installed F16 software dev.  Not
too quickly, but definitely faster
than a mole in granite.  I installed kernel-dev and was able to install
Linux GPIB from the source tarball.
I edited gpib.conf for my board, issued a modprobe pc2_gpib and voila!
ibtest worked.

I do not recommend a 1GB 300 MHz Pentium III for modern Linux, but it is
the fastest thing I have
that doesn't lock up when the GPIB board is installed.   (Now I have to
RTFM the counter manual).

--
Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R     caf@xxxxxxxx   www.omen.com