Re: Anaconda .25 and 3TB Drive Oops

On 11/03/2011 11:59 PM, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
> Still picking up the pieces...
>
> After moving some large file systems off the first 3TB drive
> I zeroed the partition table and started with a BIOS partition.
> After setting up the various partitions the installer insisted
> on putting the boot on the one 2TB drive I have in the system.
>
> I then disconnected the 2TB drive and rebooted the installer.
> Without a smaller drive to put the boot loader on, the installer
> refused to  move off the partition defining page.  I had to
> reconnect the 2TB drive to install Verne.
>
> So, apparently, Verne cannot install on a machine with only
> 3TB drives.

Did you create a partition that was smaller than 2TB in the partition-
definition page?  IIRC, a lot of the low level stuff has a 32-bit limit
on the block number they need to access and on most drives, 2^31 is
2TB.  I suspect the installer is aware of this and is enforcing that
limit.

If you don't have a partition that's <2TB there's no place for the
installer to put the boot images on that it can guarantee the BIOS and
stage1 boot loader can see, so it's not letting you go on.

Sorry if this has been addressed earlier in the thread.  I tuned in
late.