Re: f16 cannot install via yum

On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 10:35:20 -0400
Neal Becker <ndbecker2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> After install f16 rc into a kvm vm, I want to install emacs.
>
> yum install emacs fails,
> cannot retrieve repository metadata...
>
> Is this because the repos are not yet setup, or because my machine
> has some network problems (IT has forced it into a unfriendly,
> firewalled environment, so I'm not sure).

I assume that you did a minimal install. Unfortunately, network doesn't
start up automatically in that case.

To check your network status, run
 ifconfig

and see if the network device has an IP address.

To start networking on a minimal install (no NetworkManager), type:
 service network start

To enable networking on a minimal install, type:
 chkconfig network on

Tim