Re: F16: window manager for xfce has disappeared

On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 10:55:42 -0400
sean darcy <seandarcy2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Running XFCE. yum upgrade'd yesterday, now there's no window manager.
> Stuck using gnome.
>
> What is the xfce wm? And where is it turned on?

It's xfwm4, and it should run by default.

In the event your session had it crash and you then logged out it may
have saved the session without it. Login and use a terminal to run
'xfwm4 &' or remove your old session file.

> BTW:
>
> switchdesk kde
> Red Hat Linux switchdesk 4.0
> Copyright (C) 1999-2010 Red Hat, Inc
> Redistributable under the terms of the GNU General Public License
> ERROR: KDE is not installed on your machine! to install KDE, please
> type yum groupinstall "KDE (K Desktop Environment)"
>
> yum groupinstall "KDE (K Desktop Environment)"
> Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
> Setting up Group Process
> Warning: Group KDE (K Desktop Environment) does not exist.
> No packages in any requested group available to install or update

It's not called that anymore.

> and yum groupinstall kde fails with broken deps!

I'd suggest 'yum groupinstall kde-desktop'

kevin