Re: / must be on a partition or LV that will be formatted. Reusing an existing / is not allowed.

On 10/18/2011 12:16 PM, clumens@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
The corner case here is what you are describing.  I can't remember a
time anyone has ever asked to do this
And yet several people here on your volunteer test team, the people who are willing and able to use new releases early so that problems are fleshed out and can be addressed before release, have stated that they use this ability on a regular basis and would be pained to see it go.

A reasonable person might conclude from that, "We thought that no one does this, but perhaps we were wrong and need to reevaluate that assumption." You are, instead, continuing to assert that no one needs to do this, in the fact of knowledgeable users saying that they do, in fact, need to.
(outside of the formatting with
special options that you can do with kickstart, in which case you're
getting the known good starting point I mentioned earlier).  I can,
however, remember people reusing / by accident many times and then
filing bugs.
If it is possible to reuse / "by accident" then the installer UI needs to be fixed.

That's not a functional issue, it's a UI issue.
We have a way of doing this - it's called formatting the filesystems we
are doing an install onto.  That's about as simple as it gets.
You know as well as I do that this does not address the use case that people are talking about here. Please don't be puerile.

  jik