Re: / must be on a partition or LV that will be formatted. Reusing an existing / is not allowed.

On 2011/10/17 08:02 (GMT-0700) Adam Williamson composed:

> nodata wrote:

>>  "/ must be on a partition or LV that will be formatted. Reusing an
>>  existing / is not allowed."

> I don't know, as I can't read your mind from here. But what it means is
> that when you're doing a fresh install you have to format the /
> partition. Not doing so has always been a very bad idea and unlikely to
> work very well, but anaconda hasn't actively prevented you from doing it
> before.

I always partition and format prior to beginning any Linux distro
installation. "Formatting" for this purpose includes formatting as many as
multiples of months or years prior, and simply deleting system directory
trees, like bin, sys, usr, etc, and preserving the partition's filesystem
type, compatible inode size, UUID, fsck age and device label for
compatibility with the other installed systems on the machine. It also
includes leaving selected config and data files behind so that they are
maximally handy for customizing the initial installation on first boot. If
the quote above means I can't do this any more, it means I'm done with any
not already installed Fedora releases. :-(

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/