Re: f 16 beta in virtualbox

> On Wed, 2011-10-05 at 11:32 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> > RANDR 1.2 has the ability to set arbitrary video modes at runtime.  I
> > admit Gnome's display tool doesn't expose that, but I'm comfortable
> > saying that's Gnome's bug.
>
> What does 'arbitrary video modes' mean here, roll-your-own-modelines ?
> If so, not exposing that is not a bug, but a feature. If you are saying
> that there are nice, available modes that we could show in the
> resolution combo, but missing for some reason, then yes, that would be a
> bug.

Neither of those cases, really.  The problem space here is when there's
not "available modes" on a particular output, usually in the no-EDID
case.  It's reasonable there to be have the tool be able to generate
timings (call out to cvt(1) for instance, or just copy them out of the
xserver's DMT mode list), test applying them to the output, and remember
the preference for them when that output is connected but sans EDID.

This is something of an "Advanced..." button, I admit.  But it's state
that belongs in the same stream as what the display capplet already
does.

Actually, now that I've mentioned it, there could be some value in
having RANDR expose the pre-built mode lists in the server, which would
remove the need for Gnome to know how to generate things.

- ajax