Re: Dual Boot Dilema Request for Ideas

On 09/13/2011 11:13 PM, Bob Lightfoot wrote:
> Dear Fellow Testers:
>         Since F16-Beta.TC1 I have been trying to build a working dual
> boot windows xp sp3 and fc16 VM.  So far I have not succeeded.  What
> follows are the particular trials and failures.  I would welcome
> suggestions as I know some have succeeded in this endeavor.
>
> 1.  The host system is an HP m9040n Pavillion Elite running Fedora 14
> x86_64 with qemu-kvm and libvirtd.
>
> 2.  The initial VM was 30GB VM running windows xpsp3 and fully updated.
> I also ran chkdsk /P and chkdsk /R from windows and confirmed it was
> clean as far as windows was concerned.  I then backed up the VM with tar
> -cxf vm_backup.tar.gz VM.img
>
> 3.  Attempting to use the F16 installer and the shrink option resulted
> in a fail from an ntfsresize error.
>
> 4.  Using the F16 installer and switching to tty2 and running ntfsresize
> and fdisk manually results in a successful install of F16 if I use the
> free space option.  There is no Windows Option on the grub menu
> however.  To get a Windows boot option one has to run commands : yum
> install os-prober ; grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg ;
> grub2-install /dev/sda.  This windows boot menu option , however, fails
> to boot windows instead it returns to the gpxe boot screen and then grub
> menu.  The Fedora Grub2 Entry works as expected.
>
> 5.  Using Partition Magic from windows to resize the ntfs partition and
> create free space allows one to use the F16 installer for a successful
> install of F16 if I use the free space option.  There is no Windows
> Option on the grub menu however.  To get a Windows boot option one has
> to run commands : yum install os-prober ; grub2-mkconfig -o
> /boot/grub2/grub.cfg ; grub2-install /dev/sda.  This windows boot menu
> option , however, fails to boot windows instead it returns to the gpxe
> boot screen and then grub menu.  The Fedora Grub2 Entry works as expected.
>
> 6. Using Partition Magic from windows to resize the ntfs partition and
> create free space allows one to use the F15 installer for a successful
> install of F15 if I use the free space option.  There is a Windows
> Option on the grub menu and Dual Boot works for F15/WinXP.   Using the
> F16 Installer and Upgrade with skip bootloader option produces a system
> with only a Windows Grub1 entry.  It is then possible to manually
> bootstrap F16 to boot from Grub1.  This Dual Boot F16/WinXP with grub1
> system works fine.
>
> 7.  Taking the F16/WinXP Dual Boot Grub1 system and executing the
> commands : yum erase grub ; yum install grub2 ; grub2-mkconfig -o
> /boot/grub2/grub.cfg ; grub2-install /dev/sda produces as grub2 boot
> option for both.  This windows boot menu option , however, fails to boot
> windows instead it returns to the gpxe boot screen and then grub menu.
> The Fedora Grub2 Entry works as expected.
>
>       I realize that a successful dual boot system is not our first
> priority, but was hoping the vast pool of experience might be able to
> [...]

The key for me has always been to make sure windows is installed first
and then when installing linux (grub1 or 2) point the bootloader to the
linux /boot partition which is almost always some partition other than
the first on the first boot drive, i.e., /dev/sda[n] where n is greater
than 1.  You can then chainload to the windows partition from the grub
boot menu.

--
Regards,
OldFart