Re: Dual Boot Dilema Request for Ideas

On Tue, 2011-09-13 at 23:13 -0400, Bob Lightfoot wrote:

> 4.  Using the F16 installer and switching to tty2 and running ntfsresize
> and fdisk manually results in a successful install of F16 if I use the
> free space option.  There is no Windows Option on the grub menu
> however.  To get a Windows boot option one has to run commands : yum
> install os-prober ; grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg ;
> grub2-install /dev/sda.  This windows boot menu option , however, fails
> to boot windows instead it returns to the gpxe boot screen and then grub
> menu.  The Fedora Grub2 Entry works as expected.

what you could try is to re-do the installation but manually add the
'which' and 'os-prober' packages to the set of packages to be installed.
this should cause a bootloader configuration with Windows in it to get
written as part of install. I'm not sure if it'll solve the problem with
the Windows entry not working, but when I tested this with TC1, it did
work.

If the Windows install in question is an, er, 'unofficially enhanced'
one, this could play into things. I believe some such Windows builds use
customized bootloaders to avoid Windows' copy protection, which
obviously could be a factor. I don't know a whole lot about that,
though.

Note that there's nothing terribly wrong with your scenario 6, if you're
just looking for something that works: you aren't obliged to use grub 2
with Fedora 16. We will actually still use grub-legacy out of the box
for EFI installs, so it should be fairly safe to expect grub-legacy to
work at least through F16's life.

it does sound like grub2 is somehow failing to write a working
configuration for booting your Windows install; it might help to see the
grub2 config in question.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey