Re: security update process failure

On Sun, 2011-09-04 at 23:14 -0400, Chuck Anderson wrote:

> I need guidance.  I've installed the F14 libcap from updates-testing.
> I have no idea if it works or how to test it--it doesn't appear to
> "break" anything as far as normal operation of my system.  Is that
> good enough to give +1 karma to the package?  If not, it would be
> helpful for the maintainer would put instructions in the update text
> saying how to test the update.
>
> So, I guess what I'm asking is, is it ok to give +1 to any/all
> packages if they work at all/we don't notice any regressions, or do we
> have to actually test what they are supposed to fix?

It kinda varies update to update, which I know is tricky to deal with.

For critical path updates, the critical issue is 'does it break the
critpath' - but you do have to check exactly what the package does. For
instance, a package which deals with network authentication might break
login for people who use network auth, but you won't notice if you only
have a local user account.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey