Re: Oh no! Something has gone wrong.

On Sun, 2011-08-28 at 22:05 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> Never have seen this with F15. Only have read about it.
>
> Now it's hitting me badly everytime I boot F16 Alpha. Sometimes the
> second login attempt succeeds, sometimes it doesn't and needs
> a third attempt.
>
> gnome-shell-3.1.4-1.fc16.x86_64
>
> Where do I search for meaningful error messages?
> Attached .xession-errors is flooded.
>
> [...]
>
> Updating the machine hasn't been easy and hasn't fixed the problem
> either. Evolution dep breakage required me to update wildcard-groups of
> packages or else I couldn't get xorg\* and other updates. Applying
> the xorg\* updates required a reboot as a simple logout/login resulted
> in severe screen corruption.
>
> [...]
>
> During the boot process (this is ATI Radeon graphics hardware), I often
> lose the display and get a black screen with my monitor losing signal.
> This has never happened with F14 and older, and only rarely with F15.
> A workaround is to disable rhgb.

GNOME devs refer to the screen as the 'fail whale'. It shows up if any
key Shell component crashes in a loop. The key message to look for is
"respawning too quickly", thus:

(gnome-settings-daemon:1639): GnomeDesktop-WARNING **: could not get output property for DVI-0, rc: 15

(gnome-settings-daemon:1639): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_variant_new_string: assertion `string != NULL' failed

(gnome-settings-daemon:1639): color-plugin-WARNING **: failed to enumerate directory /home/misc16/.color/icc: No such file or directory
g_dbus_connection_real_closed: Remote peer vanished with error: Underlying GIOStream returned 0 bytes on an async read (g-io-error-quark, 0). Exiting.
gnome-session[1328]: WARNING: App 'gnome-settings-daemon.desktop' respawning too quickly

so that's your problem there, I think. alt-f4 should get rid of the fail
whale, and abrt-gui should be able to report the g-s-d crash.

You're not running glibc 2.14.90-6 , are you? It's known to be broken. I
ran it for a bit today and found g-s-d would crash.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey