Re: systemd question

On 05/30/2011 10:53 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-05-30 at 20:42 +0300, cornel panceac wrote:
>
>> maybe even better is building initrd without that driver.
>
> I think dracut reads the blacklist when composing initramfs, so if you
> have a module blacklisted when an initramfs is composed, it'll be left
> out. But that won't help with kernel/initramfs combinations that were
> installed *before* the blacklist was added. Again, IMBW here. It'd
> actually be nice to have a really authoritative take on the whole issue
> from someone.

Correct;  From the comments in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nouveau.conf
(from rpmfusion's  xorg-x11-drv-nvidia) :
# RPM Fusion blacklist for nouveau driver - you need to run as root:
# dracut -f /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)
# if nouveau is loaded despite this file.

The dracut line will rebuild initramfs for the running kernel, using
the current modules.conf + /etc/modprobe.d .  You'll likely get some
warnings about incomplete support for some modules - this shouldn't
be a problem;  It's likely the driver or firmware isn't installed
because you don't actually have that hardware.  The as-shipped initramfs
has to support a lot more hardware types.