Files created with the wrong context

Greetings,

I have a custom policy that has a label for a directory and all its
contents, except for one specific sub-directory that uses a more
specific type. When a file is created in that sub-directory, it gets
the general label instead of the specific one.

It looks wrong, and at least restorecon seems to agree because it will
happily relabel the offending file, meeting my expectations. I must be
doing something wrong, probably missing something, but I have no idea
what.

Or could it be a bug? The kernel module could be evaluating rules in a
different order, hence the discrepancy at file creation time. In my
policy file contexts are sorted from least to most specific.

Anyway, I can't share that, so I made a minimal reproducer:

    https://github.com/dridi/selinux-lostlabel

Any help appreciated, I tried really hard to understand what is going
on, to no avail. The only similar search result was wrong labels in
home directories showing up in several places but I couldn't find my
nugget there.

I initially sent an email and it's not showing up in the archive, so
instead I subscribed to the list and started a new thread using the
Hyperkitty interface. Apologies in advance if you receive it twice.

Thanks,
Dridi