Re: NFS and selinux context question

On 9/26/2021 5:57 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
Hi,

The configuration is a Fedora NFS server holding the home directories of Fedora clients.  So, all Fedora.

Example:  A user on the client creates a ~/.cert directory. Looking at the directory from the server side we see.

[djensen@f35ser ~]$ ls -Zd .cert
system_u:object_r:home_cert_t:s0 .cert

On the client side the user sees

[djensen@f35k ~]$ ls -Zd .cert
system_u:object_r:nfs_t:s0 .cert

Is there a way the client side can show the actual selinux context that is being enforced on
the server side?

Have you tried the instructions at https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html/selinux_users_and_administrators_guide/sect-managing_confined_services-nfs-configuration_examples, by chance? If I recall correctly, you can force the behavior where the client sees the exact same type as the server has on the filesystem.

I'm pretty sure the behavior you're describing is correct and desired. From the client, the .cert directory is dealt with in the context of it being type nfs_t. You won't see the extended attributes stored on the server filesystem, instead you're using labeled NFS (see e.g. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/LabeledNFS). SELinux will apply policy against it based on that context. On the server side, the .cert directory is labeled home_cert_t because that's what the label on the server is, and that's the type stored in extended attributes on the filesystem.

I'm dusting off a lot of cobwebs for this, so I could be wrong.

Thomas