Re: "semanage boolean -l" shows separate strings

Samuel Fusato <samuelfusato@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> Hope you are well. When you have time, can you kindly let me know why the
>> command "semanage boolean -l" shows "homedirs" and "home dirs" on the
>> Description of the booleans? Examples:
>>
>> [root@workstation ~]# semanage boolean -l | grep httpd_enable_homedirs
>> httpd_enable_homedirs          (off  ,  off)  Allow httpd to enable
>> *homedirs*
>>
>> [root@workstation ~]# semanage boolean -l | grep use_nfs_home_dirs
>> use_nfs_home_dirs              (off  ,  off)  Allow use to nfs *home dirs*
>>
>> Why is there not a sort of standardization there?

In this case descriptions are generated from boolean names. The
algorithm is simple - the boolean name is split using '_', first world
is usually subject then perm then object. 'Allow' is at adaed to the
beginning and 'to' is added between subject and perm. It generally
works reasonably well:

httpd_enable_homedirs -> Allow httpd to enable homedirs

but

use_nfs_home_dirs -> Allow use to nfs home dirs

If you want better descriptions, you can install `selinux-policy-devel`:

# dnf install selinux-policy-devel
# semanage boolean -l | grep httpd_enable_homedirs
httpd_enable_homedirs          (off  ,  off)  Allow httpd to read home directories

As for the boolean names - httpd_enable_homedirs vs use_nfs_home_dirs -
I don't know why they are inconsistent. It might be related to the fact
that `homedirs` could be a feature for httpd, but it home dirs when we
talk about nfs. I don't know.

Petr