Re: USB drive mounting via remote access

> I maintain some servers via VNC (over my internal network, firewall rules prevent
> remote connections).
>
> In the past, I would VNC in as root and I had all the control I needed.  I am
> trying to get away from root over VNC.  I discovered that a user account cannot
> mount a USB drive, no permissions.
>
> This is true for a USB stick, USB connected HD, and a USB connected CD burner (K3b
> does not even see the drive).
>
> I am assuming this is an SELinux feature.  I want the user I have set up for VNC
> access (that is also in the Wheel group) to be able to perform this function.  I
> don't want to have to command line sudo mount, nor can I figure out what k3b would
> need.
>
> I have been googling this problem for a few days, but either my search foo is weak
> (nothing new there), or there is really no information out there on this.
>
> So if this IS an SELinux feature, can someone help me with what I would need as a
> policy rule?
>
> Oh, right now I am doing this for Fedora 29-armfhp beta.  I will also be doing it
> for Centos7-armfhp.

I doubt this is an selinux issue.  Of course you could test this by setting selinux
to permissive.

I say this is probably not an selinux issue since I have a F29Beta system (KDE)
running in a VM.  I have the system running a VNC server and connect to it.
While connected I insert a USB flash drive.  The systray of the VNC client recognizes
the USB flash drive.  When I indicate that I want to open it with a file viewer
(dolphin) I get a popup asking for a password.  The popup indicates it to be a
"policykit" request.

In order for me to make it work I think I'd have to make changes in the policykit
area.  Kinda late in my day but I may research in the AM.

--
Cardinal Rule of Presentations: "Tell them what you are going to tell them, tell
them, then tell them what you told them."