Re: [Non-DoD Source] An selinux issue

On Thursday, March 8, 2018 2:14:53 PM AKST Thomas Cameron wrote:
> On 03/08/2018 05:04 PM, m.roth@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > I think it gets system if you copy it without copying the selinux
> > label....
>
> Pretty sure it inherits from the parent directory if you copy, doesn't it?

So you want a PGP/GPG signature thingy? Now we need a mental health check,
because the date, time, subject, and intended recipient(s) are not part of
what is actually signed. [/sarcasm]

So if you *copy* (cp) a file, it usually inherits "context" from the
destination parent directory.

On the other hand if you *move* (mv) a file, it tends to retain its original
security context.

I have also had trouble copying a symlinked file when a deep copy of the data
was made, but the basic permissions of the new file were set to 0777, that of
the symlink, not the original file pointed to.

These things are not always working the way they are supposed to, and the
rules are not always consistent.