Re: Controlling execution of Java JAR files with SELinux RBAC

On Tue, 2017-05-23 at 16:51 -0700, Bill D wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> I have been trying to figure out how to control the execution of
> Java
> JAR files with SELinux RBAC.
>
> I have two Linux users named joe and mary and two Java JAR files
> named
> jack.jar and mary.jar.
>
> Here is how jack executes jack.jar: java -jar jack.jar
>
> Here is how mary executes mary.jar: java -jar mary.jar

So they aren't actually executing those files; they are both executing
java, which in turn is reading those files and interpreting the
contents.

> I would like SELinux RBAC to prevent jack from executing mary.jar
> and
> prevent mary from executing jack.jar.
>
> How to configure SELinux RBAC to make that happen?
>
> I have tried various approaches without success.  I have also tried
> the
> steps in http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archive/index.php/t-222938.htm
> without success.
>
> I would greatly appreciate any hints.

Perhaps you could describe what you tried in more detail, and how it
failed.  The thing to remember is that for your scenario above, you
need to control read permission, not execute permission.  You can
either do this via RBAC/TE (in which case you need separate SELinux
users, roles, and domains for jack and mary, and separate types for
jack.jar and mary.jar), or via MCS/MLS (in which case you need to have
jack and mary run in MCS constrained domains, authorize them for
different categories, and assign those different categories to the .jar
files).

Perhaps the better question is what is it that you are really trying to
achieve.  Merely controlling which jar files they can read/execute
isn't terribly interesting; what prevents them from just re-creating or
downloading the other .jar file themselves?