Re: Relabelling

Thomas wrote:

> Am 5. Dezember 2016 17:25:10 MEZ, schrieb m.roth@xxxxxxxxx:
>
>>   We've got a really important server on our network - it's a loghost,
>>runs dibbler, etc. We had a grub issue, and now, trying to come up, it's
taken over half an hour on relabelling... and this is a 1TB (RAID 1)
drive, and not more than about a quarter full.

>>This is not acceptable - even with fsck, you can tell it fastboot. What
reasonable and customary practice should we follow to prevent this very
long behaviour? Would have a cron job run restortcon -R / once a month
help? If not, what else is there?

> It will only relable once when installing selinux or someone created
the trigger file /.autorelabel  manually. (Actually the installation
creates this file).

> Maybe you installed selinux only before last reboot or someone/something
created this trigger file out of order?

Sorry, but this is CentOS 6, and has been running for years. There was
network work done over the weekend (and my manager had to come in), and we
had several issues with this server. For one, grub seemed to have gone
south. Once I reinstalled grub via a rescue flash drive, it came up. What
created the /.autorelabel, I have no clue.

However, the major issue here is *why* relabelling takes vastly longer
than fsck. I rebooted well over an hour after it started relabelling - and
I have no idea, of course, how much longer it would run, while the forced
check fsck took in the neighborhood of half an hour.

Btw, the restorecon -R /var that I started at 12:11 is *still* running at
14:23, to compare to fsck.

         mark