Re: SELinux user label problem with Samba share files

On 6/01/2016, 8:37 AM, "Jeff Boyce" <jboyce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Greetings -
>
>A coworker ran into a (permission denied) problem recently trying to
>save a file on our Samba server.  So I first checked into the normal
>user and group permissions for the user and the file, and everything
>seemed fine there.  So then I moved on to investigating whether it was
>an SELinux issue, and subsequently I think I found more problems on our
>Samba server than I wanted to see.
>
>A short description of the issue that I see is that while the files on
>my Samba share are labeled with the samba_share_t type, there is a
>mixture of two different SELinux user labels.  Some directories/files
>are labeled with system_u and others are labeled with unconfined_u.  The
>particular file that the coworker was trying to save (and received a
>permission denied result) had a system_u label.  An example of the
>mixture is shown below.
>
>[root@sequoia CorporateDocs]# ls -lZ
>drwxrws--T. eileenm mei_office system_u:object_r:samba_share_t:s0 Amendments
>drwxrws--T. jeffb   meiboard unconfined_u:object_r:samba_share_t:s0
>Budget Materials
>-rwxrw----. eileenm mei_office system_u:object_r:samba_share_t:s0
>Ltr_Engagement_Mclanahan.pdf
>drwxrws--T. jeffb   meiboard unconfined_u:object_r:samba_share_t:s0 MEI
>Stock
>-rwxrw----. eileenm mei_office system_u:object_r:samba_share_t:s0
>Original By-laws.pdf

Redhat distributions only use the user label in the process of mapping Linux users to available roles (RBACs), so it must be a coincidence.

>Our setup in this small office includes a Samba file server that is
>accessed by all staff through their Windows desktop/laptop systems. We
>have a half a dozen main directories under our primary share with only
>one of them restricted to a subset of the staff as diagrammed below.
>The restricted subset is defined by standard user and group restrictions.
>
>Ecosystem Share
>    Projects  -  all staff
>    Proposals  -  all staff
>    Reference  -  all staff
>    CorporateAdmin  -  restricted subset of staff
>
>I suspect that the mixture of selinux user labels was a result of our
>migration to this CentOS 6 server (a KVM guest if that matters) a couple
>years ago from a pre-selinux RHEL 3 server.  I thought I had all my
>Samba selinux settings setup correctly when doing the migration, but I
>guess not.  I am actually surprised that we haven't run into the issue
>earlier.

To demonstrate that the issue isn’t related to the user labels, you can restore them to system_u like so: restorecon -RF /ecosystem

>My goal now is to get all the selinux user labels uniformly correct and
>solve the permission denied error that my coworker encountered. I am
>hoping the first solves the second, and doesn't conflict with it.
>Although I am not sure which label is correct for my situation, system_u
>or unconfined_u.  And if it is system_u, then why the permission denied
>issue on that particular file.  They don't have the same issue with
>other files in other directories that have a system_u label.

This probably isn’t an SELinux issue but if you replicate it, then run this as root:

ausearch -ts recent | audit2allow

and it comes back with nothing then it’s almost certainly not SELinux denying the access; having said that, it’s good to also be aware of this when diagnosing issues: https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Security-Enhanced_Linux/sect-Security-Enhanced_Linux-Fixing_Problems-Possible_Causes_of_Silent_Denials.html

>I have read through the RHEL SE Linux User guide an am not sure where to
>go from here.  So I am looking for some guidance from the experts here.
>I looked into the
>/etc/selinux/targeted/contexts/files/file_contexts.local file and see
>the following information.  Maybe this is messed up also; or a
>contributing factor to my issue.
>
># This file is auto-generated by libsemanage
># Do not edit directly.
>/ecosystem(/.*)?    system_u:object_r:samba_share_t:s0
>/home/jeffb/messages    system_u:object_r:user_home_t:s0
>./CorporateDocs    system_u:object_r:samba_share_t:s0

The last two entries are odd.

Cheers,
Doug