Re: Recent bash vulnerability and SELinux containment

On 09/25/2014 01:37 PM, Dmitry Makovey wrote:
Hi everybody,

while the whole "bash"-storm is gaining force is it reasonable to
develop SELinux policy prohibiting bash invocations from daemons'
contexts to have access to anything but a tiny sandbox? Has anybody
attempted such thing?

No SELinux would already block the bash exploit.

SELinux allows a process to do its stuff based on its type.   Just because I can infect a bash script to attempt to do some
bad access does not mean SELinux will not block it.

If I have a bash script running as httpd_t or mysqld_t and it gets hacked it would still only be allowed to do the things that mysqld_t or httpd_t can do.

It would block a cgi script launched from httpd_t from reading the mysqld database even if the mysqld database was world readable.

This is what SELinux does.