Re: back to svn]

Dominick Grift wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-11-15 at 10:46 -0500, m.roth@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> Good thought. NOW I'm *really* confused.
>> ll -Z of the file gives me
>> -rw-r--r--. <user> <group> system_u:system_r:httpd_sys_content_t:s0
>> <file>
>>
>> Meanwhile,
>> grep avc /var/log/audit/audit.log | grep <filename>
>> gets me:
>> <...>
>> type=AVC msg=audit(1384527075.382:7606586): avc:  denied  { read } for
>> pid=1329 comm="httpd" name="<filename>" dev=sdc1 ino=66691074
>> scontext=unconfined_u:system_r:httpd_t:s0
>> tcontext=system_u:object_r:unlabeled_t:s0 tclass=file
>>
>> "Unlabeled_t"?
>
> You should probably watch some of my videos on youtube (1)

I'm not really big, most of the time, on instructional videos - I'd rather
read. This email was just what I needed.

> Because in some of those videos i explain what it means if you see
> entities with the unlabeled_t type security identifier
>
> But i will give you a run-down of it here:
>
> There is this concept of "initial security identifiers" in SELinux.
> Initial security identifiers are security identifiers that are
> hard-coded into SELinux
>
> Initial security identifiers are used to address three security
> challenges:
>
> 1. deal with system initialization
> 2. deal with fixed resources
> 3. deal with fail-over
>
> I will touch on the third challenge, because this is related to your
> issue
>
> Basically, SELinux uses initial sids for fail-over because:
>
> SELinux needs a way to deal with mislabeled, and unlabeled files on
> running systems.
>
> The unlabeled initial sid is associated to entities by SELinux if a
> entity has one or more invalid security indentifiers

And here's my complaint: why should it tell me that it's unlabeled_t,
rather than telling me "system_r is an invalid role"?

One more detail - I made a typo, and managed chcon -R -r system_u, rather
than -u... and chcon accepted it. Isn't there any parm checking, to match
what you're changing to the context?

Thanks, again, for the clear explanation.

      mark