Re: NFS Home Directory Files Mis-Labelled

On 05/06/2013 10:57 PM, Mike Pinkerton wrote:

On 6 May 2013, at 15:25, Daniel J Walsh wrote:

On 05/06/2013 03:02 PM, Mike Pinkerton wrote:

On 6 May 2013, at 02:33, Miroslav Grepl wrote:

On 04/20/2013 01:40 AM, Mike Pinkerton wrote:

Last summer, I set up a network with about a dozen stationary boxes and
15-20 moveable users.  All users are authenticating via FreeIPA, and
have their home directories NFS-mounted from a central file server.
[...]The problems is that, as some users create files, they are being
created with context:

"system_u:object_r:user_home_t:s0"

rather than:

"unconfined_u:object_r:user_home_t:s0"

If I run "restorecon -FR /srv" , then the files are re-labelled to the
"unconfined_u".

I don't know how frequently files are created with the wrong context.

Any ideas as to what is happening?

Thanks.

Dan wrote a great blog

http://danwalsh.livejournal.com/63586.html

where you can find answers. Basically "unconfined_u" tells you that files have been created by a process running with "unconfined_u:*:*:* context.

[...]

SELinux does not enforce on User component in any policy we ship so this is
not a problem, but you do point out an inconsistency.

Dan, it must have created at least a wrinkle, because I did not notice the labelling problem until a user complained about not being able to use one of her files. Running "restorecon -FR /srv" fixed the problem for her.

We should bring this up for discussion on the mail list, but I guess until we get labeling NFS we can not do anything about it. The server does not know
what the label of the client process is running with.

The server does the right thing some of the time. In the same home directory, I'll see some files with "unconfined_u" and others with "system_u".

I suppose until y'all figure this out, I'll set up a cron job to run "restorecon -FR /srv" on the file server every night.
As an alternative workaround you could rely on inotify to trigger a relabel each time a file is created