staff_u unable to run ls in /var on one system

I have an odd problem. Users running as staff_u are unable to run ls in
/var on one system only (though I haven't tested all of them).

It is definetly an SELinux thing, setenforce 0, problem goes away,
setenforce 1, problem returns. ausearch -m avc -ts now shows nothing.

restorecon on /var yields nothing and the labels are the same from one
system to the next.

id -Z
staff_u:staff_r:staff_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023

Same on both systems (this is set via IPA and SSSD)

So I can't really figure out where the problem lies:

ls -lZd /var
drwxr-xr-x. root root system_u:object_r:var_t:s0       /var

Any ideas?

-Erinn