Re: AWStats Update-now link has permissions issues

On October 25, 2012 09:28:21 Daniel J Walsh wrote:
> > # semodule -l|grep awstat awstats	1.2.0
> >
> > It works quite well for me, I had to add one rule :
> >
> > domtrans_pattern(logrotate_t, awstats_exec_t, awstats_t)
> >
> > because I want logrotate to call awstat before it rotates apache log
> > files.
> >
> > Regards, Vadym

> Current policy has F17/F18/RHEL7 Beta has
>
> 	awstats_domtrans(logrotate_t)
>
> We will back port to RHEL6.

since we're on the subject of awstats...

AWstats has an option of "purging" log files which breaks (and probably
rightly so) with default setup. I had to pop

module awstats-httpd-logs 1.1;

require {
        type httpd_log_t;
        type awstats_t;
        class file write;
}

#============= awstats_t ==============
allow awstats_t httpd_log_t:file write;

module into the setup. However given that we're dealing with "Standard
function" of AWStats it would be nice to wrap it in conditional and throw in
base policy.

Which really raises a question: should base policies (and modules) cover all
aspects of "normal"/"legitimate" functionality of applications "out-of-the-
box" or shall we expect it to cover only a subset? Is it SELinux's group role
to suggest "insecure" practices that will not be covered by policies and
probably should be discouraged irregardless of SELinux state (on or off)?

--
Dmitry Makovey
Web Systems Administrator

When in trouble when in doubt run in circles scream and shout
     http://www.wordwizard.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19330

---