Re: excluding auditd events

> The list of 'user' messages can be found at:
>
> https://fedorahosted.org/audit/browser/trunk/lib/libaudit.h
>
> The kernel will exclude based on my rule anything between
> AUDIT_FIRST_USER_MSG and AUDIT_LAST_USER_MSG.

Thanks for that pointer - certainly clears things up a bit.

> These are all messages that cron would have to explicitly create and
> send to the kernel audit subsystem.
>
> It's certainly possible to change the kernel (and then the audit
> userspace) to make it work like you wanted it, but we just don't have
> that code today.

This is what I have been wondering - was there some sort of (programming
or policy) restrictions which led to this or was it just a case of
nobody-thought-of-this-before sort of thing?

If it is the latter, then it would be easier to change things as if what
I need is implemented, it would provide a great deal of flexibility, not
to mention the fact that it would make systems less vulnerable. With the
new filters, messages won't pass unnoticed - there is a potential for
doing so in the current implementations. Thanks for you input yet again,
Eric.