Re: how to set permissions to files with a patern in the file hame

On 02/16/2010 11:05 AM, ESGLinux wrote:
> 2010/2/16 Dominick Grift <domg472@xxxxxxxxx>
>
>> On 02/16/2010 09:21 AM, ESGLinux wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I´m a bit newbie with SELinux (nothing more than watch to sealert -b and
>> do
>>> what it says...) and now I want to learn more about it because I have a
>>> problem:
>>>
>>> I need to set the permissions to files that are going to be created, but
>>> this permissions depends on the name of the file. Is it possible?
>>
>> I do not believe this is possible.
>>

> I thought it is the same as you can see in the
> file /etc/selinux/targeted/contexts/files/file_contexts
> for example
> /mnt(/[^/]*)    -l      system_u:object_r:mnt_t:s0
>
> with a pattern you assing a context. So I thought you can use this to assing
> perm or modify the access to the files.
>
> Am I wrong?

Well you can use file context specifications to restore contexts of
files to the specified context but i believe this often will not work
for creating files. Unless you use restorecond. Restorecond is a daemon
that monitors the filesystem and restores locations to the specified
contexts as soon as they are created.

But to really create a file with a specified context requires a file
type transitions. File type transitions depend on which process type
creates which class of file object where.

So any example of a type transition:

if process with type bla_t creates a file in a directory with type
hello_t, than type transition to type bla_hello_file_t

if a process with type bla_t creates a sock_file in a directory with
type hello_t, than type transition to type bla_hello_sock_file_t

if a process with type bla_t creates a file in a directory with type
bye_t, than type transition to type bla_bye_file_t

if a process with type foo_t creates a dir in a directory wuth type
hello_t, than type transition to type foo_hello_dir_t

So there are possibilities but you cannot use file names to specify type
transitions. You can use file names for file context specifications
however but that requires that you enable and configure restorecond, and
it does not actually create the objects with the specified type. The
restorecond daemon just restores the context of a file to the specified
context as soon as it is created.

An example of restorecond is how it runs in Fedora 12 in a gnome
session. (restorecond -u)