Re: SELinux best practices

On 02/04/2010 05:49 AM, Dominick Grift wrote:
> On 02/04/2010 11:22 AM, Leif Thuresson wrote:
>> Is there a "recommended" way to setup access for privileged admin tasks with
>> sudo?
>> In Dominick Grift's blog article
>> http://selinux-mac.blogspot.com/2009/06/selinux-lockdown-part-seven-su-newrole.html
>> the user assigned the webadm_r role gets a sudo access with match "ALL"
>> so in this example you trust SELinux solely to protect the system from
>> unauthorized access.
>> Is this way you would normally do it on a production machine?
>> If you make the sudoers rules more specific for the actual commands the
>> admin user need to run
>> you will gain some initial lock-down from sudo, but at the expense of the
>> sudoers file
>> requiring significantly more maintenance.
>> Administrators generally like scripting to automate task, but by allowing a
>> sub-admin to run a shell with uid=0
>> we are again left with only SELinux to prevent unauthorized access.
>> Is the general feeling that SELinux in say fedora12 is mature enough so that
>> we can trust that it will protect
>> the system from unauthorized access if we allow sub-administrators to run
>> scripts as uid=0 ?
>> I see that support for capabilities on files has finally found its way into
>> fedora12. It that something that is
>> being used to achieve some sort of middle ground between the two
>> alternatives I listed above?

I believe in security layers.  So if all you want to allow an admin to do is restart the web server then setup seliunux rules for webadm_r:webadm_t and only allow the script to be run by sudo.  This way if either the script or SELinux has a bug, you might still be protected.  If the super admin currently uses sudo apps then he should continue, but instead of allow the less priv admin to run apps as unconfined_t I would confine them.