Re: removing context

On Jul 8, 2009, at 12:19 PM, Mike Cloaked wrote:

Brian Krusic wrote:

Hi,

When doing an ls -lZ, some files show a security context like;

root:object_r:user_home_t:s0

... while some don't.

Does any one know how to remove this context either on a file, dir or
file system level?

Why do you want to remove them - if selinux is enforcing (as it should be in an up to date version of Fedora ) then all files should have a context and your best security is when selinux is set up correctly to work with your system. In F10 selinux did have a number of tweaks needed to get it going
but in F11 it is likely to need very few tweaks.

I'm glad you asked the question.

I have selinux disabled first and foremost.

However the context labels still exist on some files which cause a problem doing dump/restore over NFS.

Let me explain;

While dump/restore works over NFS in general, they don't work with selinux context so I keep getting errors like;

restore: ./etc/ysyconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0: EA set security.selinux:system_u:object_r:etc_t:s0 failed: Operation not supported.

And while the dump/restore works and the files get copied, this error causes my incremental backs to work as full backups. Also, this muddies my log files which i rely on. Image half the files on the system kicking out this error.

Thanks in advance,
- Brian