Problem creating apol file context index

I have RHEL 5, and Fedora 9 running in under vmware fusion on a MacBook Pro.

Apol hangs (on both) when trying to create a file context index.  There is no output at all for several hours, then I kill it.
I don't remember the name right now, but I found a command line utility to create (the same?) index, but that hangs as well.

Could it be that I'm not waiting long enough?
Or maybe apol won't work in a VM?
Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
Brian