Re: selinux and oracle

Adam Turk wrote:
From: Daniel J Walsh <dwalsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
Adam Turk wrote:
Hello again,

I was able to install Oracle 10gR2 on RHEL4U4 with selinux in targeted enforcing mode. No selinux messages in /var/log/messages or dmesg. I found a couple of scripts that will start and shutdown the database and enterprise manager on boot and shutdown. I had a couple of problems with this part and I am not sure if selinux is the problem or not. Let me explain then I will post the code.

I created a file called oracle in /etc/rc.d/init.d. I ran chkconfig oracle reset. I then ran service oracle start. The database wouldn't start. oracle calls the script dbstart which needs ORACLE_HOME defined. If I add a export ORACLE_HOME=/path/to/oracle to dbstart everything works. If I remove the export then the database won't start. I was under the assumption that when I set ORACLE_HOME in oracle it would be able to be used by dbstart. This does not appear to be true. Is this a selinux problem, or did I misunderstand something? To get the database to start I added the export ORACLE_HOME to /etc/profile. Also when I do a init 6 or init 0 the oracle service doesn't shutdown i.e. no shutting down oracle ................

I would doubt this is an SELinux problem. You can always check for avc messages in /var/log/messages. You can also temporarily turn off enforcing mode "setenforce 0", then try it. If it is still broken while SELinux is in permissive mode, it is most likely not an SELinux problem.

SELinux is not causing the environmnet variable problem I discribed. I will leave the ORACLE_HOME in /etc/profile and call it done.

On a side note, shouldn't selinux messages go into a /var/log/selinux file instead of messages?

In RHEL5 they go to /var/log/audit/audit.log if auditing is turned on.
Thanks,