Re: selinux and oracle

Hello again,

I was able to install Oracle 10gR2 on RHEL4U4 with selinux in targeted enforcing mode. No selinux messages in /var/log/messages or dmesg. I found a couple of scripts that will start and shutdown the database and enterprise manager on boot and shutdown. I had a couple of problems with this part and I am not sure if selinux is the problem or not. Let me explain then I will post the code.

I created a file called oracle in /etc/rc.d/init.d. I ran chkconfig oracle reset. I then ran service oracle start. The database wouldn't start. oracle calls the script dbstart which needs ORACLE_HOME defined. If I add a export ORACLE_HOME=/path/to/oracle to dbstart everything works. If I remove the export then the database won't start. I was under the assumption that when I set ORACLE_HOME in oracle it would be able to be used by dbstart. This does not appear to be true. Is this a selinux problem, or did I misunderstand something? To get the database to start I added the export ORACLE_HOME to /etc/profile. Also when I do a init 6 or init 0 the oracle service doesn't shutdown i.e. no shutting down oracle ................

Thanks,

#!/bin/bash
#
# chkconfig: 35 95 1
#
# DON'T FORGET TO MODIFY /etc/oratab AND CHANGE THE LAST VARIBLE TO Y
# chmod 750 this file
export ORACLE_HOME=/u01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1
export ORACLE_BIN=$ORACLE_HOME/bin
export ORACLE_SID=jrd
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/lib
export ORACLE_USER=oracle

export PATH=$PATH:$ORACLE_BIN

if [ ! -f $ORACLE_BIN/dbstart ]
then
   echo "Oracle startup: cannot start"
   exit
fi

# see how we are called:
case $1 in
   start)
       su - $ORACLE_USER -c  $ORACLE_BIN/dbstart
#        su - $ORACLE_USER -c "$ORACLE_BIN/emctl start dbconsole"
       ;;
   stop)
#        su - $ORACLE_USER -c "$ORACLE_BIN/emctl stop dbconsole"
       su - $ORACLE_USER -c  $ORACLE_BIN/dbshut
       ;;
   *)
       echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop}"
       ;;
esac

Invite your Hotmail contacts to join your friends list with Windows Live Spaces http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwsp0070000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://spaces.live.com/spacesapi.aspx?wx_action=create&wx_url=/friends.aspx&mkt=en-us