Re: suggest an icon for selinux (e.g. setroubleshoot)

Richard Irving wrote:
John Dennis wrote:

We need an icon to be used on the desktop which is associated with
SELinux. The first intended use would be the icon associated with
setroubleshoot to indicate you have an SELinux issue to deal with.

In the interim we've been using Tux with a badge, but we can't use Tux
because of legal constraints (however, lets not go down that rathole in
this thread :-).

Rathole?  I thought Tux is a penguin...   ;-)

We can't use a police badge because that's very close to the icon used
for consolehelper root access.

So far we've come up with:

* Traffic Light (indicates stop/go).

* Crossed swords

* Bobby hat (English policeman)

We would like some suggestions, anybody have a good idea? Just remember
it has to be identifiable at small sizes. Images associated with the NSA
probably won't get warm feelings in a variety of places.

It seems to me that (notwithstanding the political overtones) this position would be denying their significant contributions to this effort. Not just the organization as an entity, but that of key individuals.

 Images associated with NSA won't go over well ?  Hrmm.... maybe this is a
*detailed* look and feel.... how about a star fish, inside an unbroken circle ?

(It is ready made for O'Reilly  ;-)

O'Reilly already has their SELinux cover imagery (see McCarty's book) with Civil War era soldiers... :-)

Though one could go further back than that in U.S. history to Paul Revere and the "Mechanics"...

 PPS: The crossed swords have my vote, if you don't like the starfish.

That, or you put the starfish inside a pentagon.....instead of an unbroken circle, just different enough from the original to be unique. It would then symbolize "isolation and containment".... aligning the stars legs to the corners of the pentagon,
isolating each 5th of the pentagon from the other.

Both are recognizable, but not too similar to familiar logo's among the puzzle palace crowd.

(James Bamford, I am not.)

Of course, you could use the silhouette of a piece of a jigsaw puzzle..... maybe with 5 "connectors",
but that would be too obscure...

Or, yet still, combine the elements, a jigsaw puzzle piece, with a starfish, inside a pentagon,
on the surface of the puzzle piece.  ;-)

Of course, there is the idea of a simple old fashioned "Flask" as a logo...... maybe even an antique flask, like a goatskin wine canteen (Zahato). That idea has some style....

Filled with a good single malt?

 </.02c ALT="To be taken with a grain of salt, and a little imagination.">

Some interesting ideas.

How about this one:

A gold key, the shape of which is consistent with the key in the NSA logo being held onto by the eagle. Superimposed over the key is a red exclamation point or perhaps a red "I" information bubble icon.

That's my 0.02 cents (or 0.0222 CD)  ;-)

Marc Schwartz