securing home directories and using public_html

Sorry if this has already been asked and answered, but I'm a newbie! Maybe there's an archive I can search...

I run a lab of fedora 5 clients and a RHEL 4.0 server (that means that the version of SELinux running on the server is the same as the version running on fedora core 3, right?) in a high school CS department. I'm teaching a unit on web programming using php and mysql. I've given students a world-readable public_html directory and a database, user and password. All works well until I notice students copying code from each other's public_html directories.

Is there a way to allow httpd to access these directories and not allow users to get to them from their console?

thanks in advance!
steve

--
Steve Strong