Re: Postfix virtual and Dovecot

Lamont R. Peterson wrote:

Perhaps postfix works differently to sendmail but I use procmail to
deliver mail received by sendmail to maildirs under /var/spool/mail,
which is mail_spool_t and hence works fine with dovecot.

Well, Postfix does work differently from Sendmail...but I don't think that has much to do with his problem here.

Also, either maildrop or procmail (or both, if you really want to go nuts) can be used with either Postfix or Sendmail...they do the same thing. I like maildrop better, myself, because it seems to work with less overhead than procmail (I've never done benchmarks, so this is just one of those seems-to-my-gut kinda things) and because the syntax for the ~/.mailfilter files is less cryptic than procmail recipes; it's much easier for new users to learn and be comfortable.
I got maildrop working with courier-authlib to query the LDAP and deliver the mail to the correct maildir. If I call maildir from the command line it works great with Dovecot. However, it doesn't work through Postfix. I changed the maildrop context to postfix_pipe_exec_t so Postfix could call it. The problem is that maildrop is now being blocked from accessing the named pipe (tclass=sock_file) that courier-authlib creates. (I need courier-authlib because the LDAP code now resides in there only.) I tried to change the pipe's context to something like postfix_pipe_t, but am blocked from doing that.

(having just looked at the policy sources, the one for postfix is vastly
more complicated than the sendmail one so it does indeed appear to be
different...)

Yeah, I don't know why there seems to be no real overlap in the Sendmail & Postfix policies, though I can guess. I'm wondering if there needs to be a common type. mail_spool_t would seem to fit the bill, but I haven't really looked too closely at this one.
This would fix my problems and seems to be pretty clean. For now, I think I'm throwing in the towel on getting this to work.

Thanks,
Karyl