Audacity in FC, anyone?

Does anyone know of a "short-list" means to get the Audacity application to compile under Fedora Core 3 or 4? Some of us in a group here have been trying, but the results either fail outright, or have rather strange issues with the MP3 format. We know that the "libmad" modules are done separately, and that the "wxWidgets" modules are also required as separately obtained modules for the link-stage. What we don't know is why the simple compilation of an app from a
"trusted source" (sourceforge.net) should be so problematic.

Is there a makefile which is relatively routine for this app? The documention does not seem to mention any such thing, and also does not clearly list any environment settings which are mandatory. Audacity is bundled with the /Mandrake/ distro, but as many of us know, that one is notoriously hard to "get under the hood" for maintenance. As far as we know, only the app itself is bundled with Mandrake, not any development materials.

Any constructive suggestions are welcome.

Brian Hagen