Re: ftp upload, was Re: vsftpd and ~/public_html

gnu not unix wrote:

[y4kk0@X ~]$ ls -Zd public_html/
drwxrwxrwx y4kk0 users system_u:object_r:httpd_user_content_t public_html/
[y4kk0@X ~]$

selinux-policy-targeted-1.25.4-10
system: Fedora Core 4

Maybe default policy should allow ftp server to enter this directory so users would be able to upload their WWW stuff via ftp?

Sounds reasonable,  I will add it.

Ouch, this seems like opening up an attack vector to me.
Shouldn't ftp *upload* be to a write-only "holding cell" at least?
../Steven

This is only for ftp being allowed to modify users homedirs. If the user sets boolean ftp_home_dir then the user can modify and read most contents of the users home dir. This just adds public_html. If you want to protect the users home dir from ftp, I would not turn on that boolean. Without this change a hacker could put something in the .bashrc or other startup files and next time the real user logs in it would manipulate the public_html directory.