Re: MLS levels and the initial SID for kernel_t

Paul Moore wrote:
Jonathan Kim wrote:

Paul,

I recall that the problems you were having were resolved after you followed
the steps I sent.
Did you follow the exact procedure I sent you? If not, could you let me know the exact procedure you followed?

Yes, the steps you sent me a few weeks ago did work but later versions of the policy RPM caused it to fail. Fresh install or upgrades both resulted in failure. The reason appears to be here in security/selinux/ss/mls.c line 521:

 if (rangetr->dom == scontext->type &&
     rangetr->type == tcontext->type) {
      /* Set the range from the rule */
      return mls_range_set(newcontext,
                       &rangetr->range);
 }

For some reason the 'dom'/'type' values for the only rule in 'rangetr' do not match with the values of 'kernel_t' and 'init_exec_t' in 'scontext->type' and 'tcontext->type' respectively. Looking at the range_transition types in the binary policy file, policy.19, the types in the file appear to match the types stored in 'rangetr' which appear to match the 'kernel_t' and 'init_exec_t' type values inside of checkpolicy-1.25.3/policy_parse.y as returned by the following lines of debug code I inserted:

 {
   type_datum_t *kt, *it;

   kt = hashtab_search(policydbp->p_types.table, "kernel_t");
   it = hashtab_search(policydbp->p_types.table, "init_exec_t");

   printf("PMD(#4): kernel_t=%u init_exec_t=%u\n",
          kt->value,
      it->value);
 }

This is where I am currently at, trying to figure out why 'scontext->type' and 'tcontext->type' appear to change values in the kernel ... or why I am barking up the wrong tree :) If anyone has any suggestions I am all ears ...

I found the problem, it was in libsepol. I just posted a patch over on the SELinux Developers list.

--
. paul.moore@xxxxxx                                      hewlett packard