Re: php+mysql under httpd in fc3

Stanislav Malyshev wrote:

I run FC3 with targeted policies (default install). I have a problem running connecting to mysql server from php under apache - the problem is that httpd/php is denied write access to mysql.sock, something like this:

fc3 kernel: audit(1116843116.146:0): avc: denied { write } for pid=7281 exe=/usr/sbin/httpd name=mysql.sock dev=dm-0 ino=375162 scontext=root:system_r:httpd_t tcontext=user_u:object_r:var_lib_t tclass=sock_file

Now, I have seen various modifications to policy sources that would allow it to work, but what I am asking is if it possible to do it without rebuilding policy from sources. The reason for this is that we need to make our ptoduce to install mysql & certain modules using it on user servers, and we can not count on policy sources being installed there. Also, the security of mysqld itself does not matter in this particular case and it is OK for us to run it unrestricted (it's separate server for this application only without network connection). The only problem is to allow restricted httpd to connect to that particular Unix socket.

I see that default system sources (apache.te) seem to include various types that seem to allow this, but I have no success in using them. If I try to use mysqld_var_run_t chcon gives me "Invalid argument", same with mysqld_db_t. Also, I see that httpd_php_t has can_unix_connect() rule, while httpd_t does not, however I did not find any documentation on what these types are, what's teh difference and how one can use httpd_php_t. I see httpd is running now under httpd_t according to ps -eZ.

I tries also to set mysql.sock into tmp_t, then write error disappears, and this one appears instead:

fc3 kernel: audit(1116844521.972:0): avc: denied { connectto } for pid=7275 exe=/usr/sbin/httpd path=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock scontext=root:system_r:httpd_t tcontext=user_u:system_r:unconfined_t tclass=unix_stream_socket

I am rather new to all SELinux concepts, so if anyone can give me some explanations about this or point me to some docs that describe these things it will be appreciated.

TIA,

Please update to the latest selinux policy and then restart mysql and apache.

Dan