Re: Problem with installing a new harddisk...

Daniel J Walsh wrote:

jckyau@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hello Daniel,

dwalsh@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

jckyau cs hku hk wrote:

Hi,

I am very new to SELinux, so, please bear with my ignorance.

I have installed a Fedora Core 3 with SELinux enabled. The system
has been running pretty stable until I tried to installed a new harddisk
to my system. The system fails during the booting process if I have my
new harddisk installed. It stops booting whenever I reach the point of
setting up the ppp (I rely on a PPPoE line to connect to the Internet).
But it boots smoothly when I have the new harddisk removed. I think it
is a problem with SELinux (though I am not sure) as it gives me all
kinds of complains regarding permissions.

I am pretty sure that it isn't a problem with the harddisk, as this
harddisk works fine when installed into another computer.  I've also
tried to install another harddisk to my SELinux box, and got the same
result.  Any clue??
Many thanx in advance!

It needs to be labeled.

touch /.autorelabel
shutdown  machine
add disk
boot machine

--

Thank you for your reply. However, it didn't work for me. With
"/.autorelabel" and my new harddisk installed, the system took a

Are you sure that the problems do not come from the fact that you have two filesystems labeled as '/" and the initialiation process trying to mount the wrong one?
I'd give a shot and replace the line (use the values appropiate for you)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.10-1.770_FC3 ro root=LABEL=/
with
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.10-1.770_FC3 ro root=/dev/hdaN <=== use here the value corresponding to the root partition of your first disk

Do not forget to (but I assume you have already done that)
- create a valid mount point for the second HD
- add an entry for it in fstab
- touch  /.autorelabel (so that the second HD gets relabeled too)